Siding at San Marcos, CA. The local set out a couple of cars here.–©photo by B. Smith
The above scene from 1974 above is pretty much what I want to replicate but on a little bigger, more organized scale. I expressed my need for some augers to B. Smith, one of my modeling mentors, and he rose to the challenge. Within a day or so, he sent me pictures.
Pretty much scratch built. Pretty much exactly what I need.
I asked B. Smith how he built it–
The wheels and axle came from the front axle of a truck. If I were to do it over I think the slightly smaller wheels from an automobile would be better as the wheels I used strike me as being big, but maybe this was all the boys at the Lazy W Ranch had to work with. The spacing of the wheels was left to the axle width of the truck axle just to simplify things. A length of “c” channel plastic was cut to fit between the wheels and would later be glued to the axle, but first the vertical angle iron supports were glued to the “c” channel. The distance between the vertical supports was the same as the diameter of the auger pipe. I used as thin plastic pieces as I could find in my scrap box but this makes the assembled structure delicate and care must be taken handling it.
The auger pipe itself is left over piping from the Walther’s grain conveyor kit (Walthers Part # 933-3124). A short piece of piping is glued near the top to represent the down spout. Some cloth wire insulation from an ancient electronic device is used for the flexible extension of the downspout. A rail car brake cylinder represents the electric motor driving the auger from the top. I fabricated the metal housing for the drive from the motor to the auger from a piece of plastic. Having used all the angle iron I had I switched to thin square rod material for the braces and to represent the conduit running up the auger pipe to the “electric motor”. Round plastic rod would work here too. The rusty box that is placed under the rail car outlet gate is some plastic piece from the scrap box.
Getting the angle of the pipe and the pipe supports required using a cloths pin to hold the auger pipe at the angle I wanted it to be (using the truck I was loading as reference for the height of the top end of the auger), making sure there was enough clearance for the truck to get under the downspout and gluing the vertical supports (wheels and axle now included) to the auger tube. The shorter supports going to the lower end of the auger tube from the axle were added last.
So this is the auger the hands at the Lazy W Ranch cobled together with the materials they had on hand. The poultry feed can now be augered into ranch trucks to be taken to the hungry turkeys.
I’d say it turned out quite nicely.
Looks like I have my work cut out for me for my next business to be modeled…(including the trailers and office)
Ponderosa Feeds may take a little while. Plus I need to weather some cars and operate for a change.
Until next time…